Monday, July 9, 2007

Hail and Howdy, True Believers


When I was a boy (many moons ago) a guy who was trying to get next to my mother gave me a big box of comics he found in a used bookstore in San Francisco. There was some Marvel stuff in there...a couple of things from other companies...but it was mostly DC stuff. Superman, Adventure Comics, Batman, and a bunch of the grand old 80-Page Giants (I loved those things!)

Now I had been reading comics before this but this was the biggest chunk of four-color wonderfulness that I had ever gotten. My love of comic books led to reading Greek Mythology, Science Fiction, and then (and now) everything that caught my eclectic fancy. I am an avid reader still but even as I savor "real books", the comic books remain even as I creak along into my dotage.

My all-time favorite comic series is Love and Rockets but before you write me off as one of those "too-cool-for-the-room" indie comic snobs I am also an unabashed super-hero fan. I know that they are preposterous and utterly silly but I don't care.

And I am a big fan of the most preposterous and unwieldy super-hero concept of all: the super-hero team. I loved the Legion of Super-Heroes when I was boy and I have stayed with them through thick and thin ever since; the same is true of the Avengers.

About this blog, it will be updated serendipitously. I've been out of the weekly comic habit since 2001 when I started getting my comics in monthly shipments from the fine folks at Discount Comic Book Service so current reviews will not be a feature (though reviews there will doubtlessly be.) We shall throw ourselves upon the tender mercies of Great Rao and let whatever happens here happen.

I'm Michael...a comic book fan...suspending disbelief since 1965.

Namaste, y'all.

1 comment:

Very Anonymous Mike said...

You need an 80-page intervention.